Re: Spin-on leaks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spin-on leaks
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:41:28 -0800
Based on experiences with my B: It's very easy to get the long bolt and the
adapter crooked when trying to start the threads into the block. Then the
edge of the adapter hangs up on the edge of the machined cut-out on the
block, and the O-ring doesn't seal at all. This situation will empty the
sump in two or three minutes (sounds like what happened to you the first
time).

I suspect your reaction to this problem (throwing in gobs of goop) is the
cause of the slow leak you you are now suffering. I would suggest taking it
apart and cleaning things carefully, and then be very careful about
reinstalling it straight. You might want to use a mechanic's mirror to see
up in there to make sure it's seated properly. Once I got mine back in
straight, it didn't leak at all.

Another possibility is that the O-ring got out of its slot and is pinched in
there somewhere. This would definitely cause a leak, and probably
necessitate getting a new O-ring.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149