Re: Spin-on leaks

To: RPARKER@csuchico.edu
Subject: Re: Spin-on leaks
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:50:13 -0500
Richard,
  You really don't want the car to hold oil without any leaks, do you?
What if the oil gets stale, or the engine feels neglected? The hinges
could get stuck  from infrequent opening of the bonnet, and then you
would really be in trouble.
  Filters are cheap. Try another. If it still leaks, you have eliminated
the filter as the leaking culprit.   Check the tightness of adapter to
the block.
  I installed an adapter on my TD and have been as pleased as I hope you
will be soon.
Bob

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:50:49 -0800 "Parker, Richard"
<RPARKER@csuchico.edu> writes:
> Hi, folks--
> I have a newly rebuilt 1622 engine in the MGA, and everything is
> working
> like a charm except:  I installed an aftermarket spin-on oil filter
> adapter
> so the filters would be less of a pain in the whatsit to change.
> But I
> discovered I was leaking oil like a sieve at one of the
> connections--either
> between the adapter and the block or the adapter and the filter.  So
> everything came off and I turned the square=cross-section O-ring
> around and
> smothered it in aircraft gasket goop and stuck it in there, bolted
> up the
> adapter, and spun on a new filter.  And damned if it isn't still
> leaking--nothing like was before, but still getting a dribble.  Any
> suggestions, or do I just adopt the "not dripping, just marking its
> territory" motto?  I was hoping that, at least for a short little
> while, I
> might have an LBC motor that actually HOLDS ITS OIL!  But it looks
> like I'd
> be better off chasing the holy grail.
> --Richard

///