RE: intake

To: "'Zubrovka'" <zubrovka@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: intake
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:19:46 -0800
John:

        If a company sells you a Weber kit and a header, you pretty much
have everything you need to convert the car so it will run kinda ok.

        To install twin SUs, you will need a used intake manifold, air
filters of some type, either new, used or rebuilt SUs, linkage, heatshield
and the knowledge to install them correctly and tune them.

        It is much easier to sell a Weber kit and header than it is to
supply adequate parts and information to correctly install SUs.

IMNSHO  Installed correctly SU carbs are the best system for the MGB engine,
as the constant depression design will mask many ills particular to the
siamese port head design.  The accelerator pump system of the Weber tends to
show up any tuning inadequacies as poor drivability and stumbling.

        Personal opinion may vary, but my belief is that the Weber is a
great first carb. to get a car underway.  Once complete and running, with
increased experience and knowledge, converting to twin SUs gives the
enthusiast more of an MG experience.

Hope this clarifies.

Kelvin.

> Ok, now I have a question.  One of the items I intend to change on my
> 76 B is the intake/exhaust. Most of the catalogs I've ever looked at
> push the webber downdraft carb and intake as "the best way", but I
> see y'all talking about swapping them out for the dual side draft
> SU's.  So what's the best route?
> John

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list