RE: Steering wheel identity

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>,
Subject: RE: Steering wheel identity
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:23:51 -0800
David:

        Very typical after-market wheel for the time of the car.  It is very
possible that it was dealer installed to spiff up the car, or during the
first few years of use.  The same type of wheel was installed as Lawrie
commented on the GT Special Edition, along with a wooden shift knob and some
other bits as spiff ups to move the cars.

        The 63-67 banjo wheels were very weak and many failed or threatened
to during the early life of the car.  It is very unusual to find a good
original condition one, hence the popularity of after-market wheels.  The
large diameter, and unsporting hard plastic were also reasons for
replacement.  There were a number of companies that produced nice wooden rim
alloy spoke wheels that accepted the original horn center assembly.
Personal and Haan are a couple that come to mind.  Somewhere I have an old
MG Mitten catalog from the 60s with a listing.

        The 68-69 banjo wheel though similar in style was much stronger, and
a number of them have come through the years intact, causing all kinds of
confusion to the owners of earlier cars who think they will bolt on.

        I would suggest hanging on to the wheel you have, as it is a bit of
history.  It is feasible that the rim could be reconstructed, but it looks
like you have other more important things to work on first, though it's
amazing what you can do with foam rubber, bicycle handlebar tape and a
leather cover.

        Back in the 80s, the scrapyard I was at made good money by taking
later 70-76 wheels and broaching them out to fit the early cars.  This gave
the owner a durable wheel for a very reasonable price.  Nowadays one of the
readily available replacement wheels is the way to go.  I use a Motolita on
my 65.

Kelvin.

> I am thinking this steering wheel was actually stock or an
> after market
> wheel put on the car before it was sold in 1967. This is
> because I have one
> just like it on my 67 BGT. I bought the 67BGT a few years
> ago, low mileage
> and overall fairly original. The wheel as well as the
> interior was well
> weathered, telling me the steering wheel itself was quite old.
>
> Anyone else?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///