Re: CA emissions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA emissions
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:57:16 -0800
On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 01:41  PM, Dennis wrote:

> Try
>  http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dmv.htm

Thanks Dennis, but that doesn't give me what the real world is like
in CA.  What the law says, and what actually happens at the
inspections can and often enough are different beasts.  Actually, I
have been looking at the dmv for some time trying to figure it all
out, what I have found is:

until next Jan, all cars older than the '74 model year are exempt
after Jan 1 2003, all cars 30 years and older are exempt.

The above does not apply to initial transfers from out of state
(all cars must be tested).

What I haven't found is what criteria are actually tested, and if I
can modify my car to comply w/o going back to stock.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention:  The previous owner removed the
emission bits in a way I cannot entirely undo.  I have a
non-airpump head (I just remembered this).  Grrr.

--
My opinions are mine, and do not reflect the views of the university.
     http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/

///