Re: back on and fuel smell

To: "Erich" <erich@mail.NGBM.COM>
Subject: Re: back on and fuel smell
From: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:07:13 -0600
  A few years ago, my wife kept telling me she was smelling gas when
ever she drove my 76 Seville.  One day it became really strong and
she brought it back to show me.  I popped the hood with the car
running and gas was spewing all over the place, leaky fuel injection.
Lucky I guess it didn't explode.  So check it carefully.
John

>Hello list,
>
>Well Im back on after a 6 month hiatus trying to get my thesis
>finished for school.  Interesting to jump back into the list again.
>
>A problem had developed with my 1980 MGB.  The past few weeks I have
>noticed a faint smell of gas in the cockpit after I park for a few
>minutes.  This happens no matter what the gas level is. Today, it
>was much worse.  Smelled like someone had dumped a good gallon of
>gas in the car.  This was after a 15 minute run at highway speeds.
>I was at away from home and checked the fuel lines, looked fine
>(they are only 6 months old).  Let things air out a bit, and started
>up.  The car ran like it was flooded for about a minute and then was
>ok.  Anyone have an idea where to look for problems?  I dont know
>if it is related, but the smell started developing shortly after I
>got a new catalytic converter and Falcon exhaust installed.  I have
>heard that there can be manifold problems if these are incorrectly
>installed.   Also, the exhaust down tube is starting to turn a
>blue/purple color.  Is this to be expected?  I know on a bike with
>chromed pipes this suggests a weak mixture, but the !
>end of the pipe looks like its running rich.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Erich- 1980 MGB
>            1970 Norton Commando

///