RE: Front wheel bearings

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front wheel bearings
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:25:46 -0500
On 3/15/02 1:09 PM, British Sportscar Center  <Lawrie@britcars.com> wrote:

>Hmm, Ken, based on Barney's note yesterday and your comments, it seems I've
>been using better quality bearings than are really necessary! Let me correct
>my earlier assertion that all caged ball bearings have a thrust side; it
>would seem that there a some suppliers that do sell bearings that are
>uniform. If yours were the same both sides, then yours would appear to have
>been the latter. The ones that have a thrust side are distinguishable by
>having one of the outer race "walls" a little taller than the other.

Let me add a couple terms here to help clarify.

The caged ball bearings that have no bias as to direction of side load
(and in fact will tolerate *very* little side load) are generally called
radial ball bearings. This is what Barnie and Ken are describing.

Laurie is refering to ball bearings designed to take a side load as well
as a radial load. These are called angular contact ball bearings. They
have a much higher tolerance for side loads, at a slight cost to radial
load rating.

Thrust bearings are strictly for axial loads and have no tolerance for
radial loading.

I haven't taken the hubs off of my A yet to swap them out, but I am
surprised to find that there are only radial ball bearings in there. I
expected to find angular contact bearings when I take it apart. What
takes the side loading in the front suspension?

Steve
_____
Avon, Ohio, USA
1958 MGA Roadster    http://my.en.com/~smorris/mga
1997 Ford F-150  *For Sale*   http://my.en.com/~smorris/ford
2001 Audi A6   (Deb's drive - no web page)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon    http://homepage.mac.com/subaruwrx

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio
1958 MGA 1500    Red/Black
NAMGAR #5987     BuckAyes Ohio Chapter