Re: Heat in the B

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heat in the B
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:46:47 -0500
Both my MGB's and TD's engines run too cold when the weather is cold, say
below 40F.
They both have new thermostats, I figure they can't both be bad. Could it be
the cold air
running across the engines that is causing the overcooling? If the
thermostats are closing
properly, I would think the coolant temperature in the radiator wouldn't
matter. The cardboard
fix is also blocking the cold wind from the engine compartment. Just a
thought.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336
.
> Max Heim wrote:
>
> > That's exactly what one would expect. A 195 degree thermostat would help
if
> > you aren't running one, of course. But the real solution for winter
driving
> > is to block off part of the radiator so that it doesn't super-cool the
> > coolant at highway speeds. It's nothing to do with the heater itself,
really
> > (though the valve design could certainly be improved) -- it's the engine
> > temperature running cool. I used to keep in the trunk a small piece of
> > cardboard cut to fit neatly in front of the radiator, kind of snapped
> > between the lip on the top and bottom tanks, with about 50% coverage.
But it
> > so very seldom gets that cold around here that I haven't bothered
lately.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///