Re: rod stewart's tie and guitars

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: rod stewart's tie and guitars
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:21:25 -0600
Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Paul Root wrote:
>

>>I did this last summer, and had a terrible time. Turns out I needed to
>>do the tie rod ends too, so it worked out. Tie rod ends are only about
>>$20 a set anyway.
>>
>>So, first. DO NOT USE A tie rod end separator. It will just tear up the
>>rubber. And it's probably too wide anyway. MG tie rod ends are pretty small.
>>
>>You also don't HAVE to take off the tie rod end. You can just unscrew
>>the steering rod out of it. Put on the boot and screw it back in. That's
>>what Quality Coaches suggested to me. After it was too late.
>>
>>How I did it, was to back the nut down to the end. put a jack stand
>>under the rod, and CAREFULLY lower the car so that a little weight is on
>>the rod (NOT MUCH, just positive force to stop rebound). The weight of
>>the car is not supported by the rod. I had another jack stand under the
>>X-member as a backup and the floor jack. Then a big hammer (31b I think)
>>on the nut/bolt. A few medium hits and it pops free. Leaving the nut on
>>make sure the rod does go flying up and hit something, like your head.
>>It gives you about an inch of free movement.
>>

> I have a tool in my toolbox that separates tie-rod ends without
> harming the little boots. It's a C-shaped clampy thing with a screw
> that pushes the tapered bolt out of the steering arm.
>
> I have used the hammer method in years past and also a small-opening
> pickle-fork, and they worked fine, but this tool is the best.

I have a pickle fork. But it's too big. I don't think I've ever
successfully used it.

I remember in college, a guy got a friend and me to do his 260Z. The
ends just came out w/out any hitting. Looking back, I wonder what else
was wrong with this pictures. :-) That 260Z was pretty nice. It's the
first (only?) car I got air under the tires driving. The fronts, over a
bump during the test drive.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155

///