Side Plate Replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Side Plate Replacement
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:45:20 -0400
I sent this request a few weeks back and surprisingly didnt get a response.
That's never happened before. So, either it didn't get through, or I broke
some unwritten list rule that made everyone turn their back on me Klingon
style. I'll try again. :)

I have a 1973 B roadster, with what I believe to be the original 1973 18V,
which leaks (nay, spews) oil. The most likely culprit is the side/tappet
cover, which appears to be dented and misshapen, and I suspect it's got no
valid seal.

Since these covers aren't available new, I was looking at the solid Side
Plate from British Automotive at http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb3.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these? It makes perfect sense to me,
though I'm just a neophyte with regard to engine work.

Since this removes the vent pipe, I'll need to re vent from the carbs. The
tech sheet at british automotive is a bit confusing to me. Is it sufficient
to take the hose that was attached to the side cover and attach it to the
curved pipe coming out the top of the rocker cover?

My car is largely desmogged, no air pump, air rail holes plugged, etc. But
the curved pipe on the rear of the rocker cover is still connected to what I
take to be a charcoal canister.

At over 25 years old, the car is not subject to ohio emissions laws, so I
can remove the charcoal canister. Seems easier than drilling a hole where
the tech sheet recommends.

--
Chris Thompson