Re: How much current headlights

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.cx>, "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How much current headlights
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:01:19 +0100
Doesn't matter whether a wire is feeding a high-current object like a
headlamp or a low current object like a relay, if the wire feeding said said
object shorts to ground and is unfused the same very high current will flow.

Also if you relay them it makes sense to have two relays, if you only use
one it has to be positioned between the main lighting switch and the dip
switch, so the dip-switch and the bulk of the wiring is still carrying the
high currents.  So you use two relays, one for each beam, mounted near the
fusebox and other relays in the engine compartment, so the heavy current is
picked up from the thick browns that are there, is confined to a short
length of 'standard' gauge wiring, and a single relay failure cannot cause
total loss of headlights.