Re: starting question

To: "Mgs@autox.team.net" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starting question
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:47:57 +0930
James Schulte wrote:

> I now have a starting problem.  It may be minor but we'll see.   Hear
> goes, when I turn the key to my 78B the radio comes on , the fans come
> on, the lights and blinkers work but there is no sound from the
> starter.   No click nothing.   If I play with the switch for a while it
> eventually engages and the car starts right up.  What in the switch
> could this be?

Three guesses from me (who has had an ignition switch die on him before).

1. The internals of the switch are collapsing or getting crud/carbon
buildup.  The parts-changer would get a new switch, but others may try
pulling the thing to bits to clean up the internals <shudder>.

2. The terminals on the switch are getting crud buildup.  Pull each wire
off and clean its terminal/plug - the others will need this loving care
soon enough, so tidy each on up now..

3. One of the wires on the ignition switch is broken and only making
contact after fiddling with it.  An intermittent fault is a bugger to
find at times but try testing the appropriate wires with a circuit
tester (testbulb will do), jiggling them about to see if the causes a flicker).

> Remember, I'm a swim coach not a mechanic.  This may be
> obvious to you but not to a total mechanical idiot like me.  But I like
> to learn.  (-:  My brother calls me a parts changer.

You can change parts?????

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII