Re: starting question

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@prodigy.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starting question
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:33:32 +0100
How good are you in deep water?

If wiggling the key in the start position eventually gets it to crank then
it probably is the ignition switch internals which AFAIK and
non-serviceable.  But you could confirm this by putting a test-lamp on the
white/red wire of the switch.  If that doesn't glow when you turn the switch
to 'start', and only does so when the starter eventually cranks after some
wiggling, then the switch it is.  You could always fit a big red push-button
with a nice chrome surround ...

However if the test-lamp shoes 12v but the starter doesn't crank then the
switch is OK.  Move on to the relay and do the same test.  If you have an
ignition relay (white/browns on the fusebox instead of whites) then the
thinner white/red from the ignition switch operates the relay to a ground,
and a brown on one relay contact is extended by the relay onto a thicker
white/red to the solenoid.  If you do not have an ignition relay then the
wire from starter relay to solenoid is white/brown.