Re: 64B no spark help!

To: "Kevin D. Richards" <flybirds@starpower.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 64B no spark help!
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:16:31 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin D. Richards" <flybirds@starpower.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 1:13 AM
Subject: 64B no spark help!

> Ok, so if I changed out the contacts and the capacitor in the distributor
and
> put it all back the way it should be:
>
> 1. should both the pos and neg sides of the coil have voltage to it when
the
> ignition is on? or just one side?

On a chrome-bumper car you should have 12v on the coil +ve/SW all the time
the ignition is on.  When the points are open you should have 12v on both
sides of the coil, when they are closed you should have a ground (from the
points) on the coil -ve (CB).

> 2. When the ignition is on, and the points open, should one find voltage
at
> the points?

Yes, 12v on the moving contact, 0v (ground) on the fixed.

> 3a. What should I check next,

Make sure you have assembled the components in the correct order viz.
points plate threaded stud; insulating washer with the raised portion facing
upwards; points spring; condenser wire; coil wire; insulating washer with
the raised portion facing downwards; nut (I'm assuming you have the earlier
assembly).  The purpose of the two insulating washers is to stop any part of
the points spring, condenser wire, or coil wire coming into contact with the
points plate stud or nut.

> 3b. is there a ballast resistor in the 64?

No.