Re: Fuel Guage - 67 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage - 67 MGB
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:57:15 -0700
This is not necessarily a problem... where is the needle when you run out of
gas? That is more to the point.

Seriously, you can roughly calibrate the range by bending the float arm on
the sender, or by adjusting the contact on the sender. I am not sure if you
can do anything at the gauge end.

We are talking about an extremely crude analog device here. I wouldn't
expect an accurate linear response. What you would like, however, is a
general correspondence at either end, with the "E" end being the more
critical. If, after testing through an entire tankfull, you find that it
reads too high all the way down the scale, then bending the float arm up the
correct amount (which will be difficult to determine) should do the trick.

Someone at one point compiled a table of electrical resistance for the gauge
or sender, I think. Armed with that and a multimeter you would actually have
a chance of getting it right without a lot of trial and error.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149