Re: Is it just me, or what? Part Quality

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is it just me, or what? Part Quality
From: "Jerry Causey" <jcausey@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:36:55 -0800
I can sympathize! This past week my spare head returned from a
visit to Mike Brown's Seven Shop with new, big intake valves, 3-
angle valve job, gas-flowed ports, and a BRIGHT red paint job. Just
to be safe, yesterday  I installed the new head studs I bought from
a Moss dealer a year or so ago and never used. Ten of them were
the up-rated kind with a dimple in the end. One had an undimpled
end. Guess which one snapped at 45 ft-lbs? I'm not about to use
the old studs again, and my local Brit-Car shop only had more non-
dimpled studs.

Fortunately, we have an option. I went to the APT web site and
ordered a set of American Racing Products studs, washers and
nuts. These are about as good as you can get, but they cost a
bloody fortune. APT is about 25 dollars under the price for the
same set from Moss (~$120 vs ~$145).

Oh well, the weather was very wet and windy most of yesterday
and today, so I wouldn't have gotten much driving in this weekend
anyway.

Regards,
Jerry