Re: rattlin' an rollin'

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rattlin' an rollin'
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 11:10:24 -0700
Most older cars (designed before computer analysis of harmonic vibrations)
have a particular speed at which they are particularly prone to vibration.
Generally this was above or near the top of the normal speed range. In my 66
B it occurs around 62mph (indicated). At higher speeds it smoothes out
again.

Your situation sounds a little more aggravated than that. There are a lot of
potential contributing factors. Wheel balance, front end alignment,
condition of front suspension bushes, shocks, wheel bearings and steering
rack, condition of rear axle mountings, and u-joints are some that come to
mind.

The MGB is certainly not the most vibration-free car in the world, but it
should be reasonably tolerable at speeds up to and above any US speed
limits.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149