Re: oil filters

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:28:18 -0500
At 12:40 PM 5/9/02 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>OK, now I'm curious. If the oil pressure (according to the gauge) is
>running 40 to 60 lbs. (on average), why is this relief valve set so low?
>Is the pressure at the filter that much less than at the oil pump?
>
>on 5/9/02 10:52 AM, Martin Libhart at mlibhart@kscable.com wrote:
> >....  the L14670 has a by-pass pressure relief valve of 12 to 15
> psi.  The L10017 has a by-pass pressure relief valve setting of 8-11 psi.

This is a relief valve internal to the filter unit itself.  This will open
and pass oil around the filter in case the filter element should ever get
clogged up and become restrictive.  I do hope that none of us on this list
will ever neglect changing the oil and filter in our MG for long enough to
cause such a condition.

For some racing applications where an engine runs at very high speed, and
it is fitted with a high volume oil pump, and the crankshaft bearings are
intentionally fitted with larger than standard clearances with the
intention of passing more oil to aid in cooling, then it is possible for
the oil flow to exceed the flow capacity of the filter.  In this case the
internal relief valve serves as a partial bypass, and the filter reverts to
a partial filtration system (which is better than collapsing the filter
element from excess pressure differential).  To retain full filtration in
such cases multiple filters are sometimes mounted for parallel flow.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg