Re: Is brake fluid flammable (or: why did my car burn?)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is brake fluid flammable (or: why did my car burn?)
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:53:32 -0700
Grrr.  Sorry Skye, let me try sending to the list this time :)

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 10:34  AM, Skye Poier wrote:

> Word on the street is Barney Gaylord said:
>> one side of the plastic
>> brake fluid reservoir near the air cleaners more that the other
>> side of the
>> reservoir.
>
> I agree, definately the fire was mostly on the distrib side from the
> pictures.  I'm thinking maybe it was an electrical fire though,
> they can
> burn very hot, and if the brake fluid running through the lines
> near the
> fire was boiling could that not also cause a soft pedal?

I am wondering, perhaps the soft pedal was a result of losing the
reservoir?  At that point, there is not going to be fluid there, and
perhaps the brake system was sucking air?

--
My opinions are mine, and do not reflect the views of the university.
     http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/