Cold Starts.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cold Starts.
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:02:51 EDT
Hi,
Today I started my MG (1978 MGB) And this is the method I've found works the
best for me. Especially if I haven't started or driven it in a week or so.
Generally I try to use my car on some sort of rotation. But sometimes it'll
be 4-5 days or more before my MGB's turn comes up. So what I do is 1.) A
quick check under the bonnet..Oil, Water and Brake Fluid.(also, check to see
if all the spark plugs are connected,etc.) get into cockpit 2.) Turn ignition
on...Listen to Fuel pump..Tic-Tic-Tic..3.) Press the Gas pedal one, two,
three times. 4.) Wait for a couple of seconds, then..5.) Turn the ignition
until the Starter is engaged & turn the engine over for 3 or 4 seconds
If engine hasn't started. 6.) Wait a moment or two, then give it another push
on the gas pedal this time as I'm turning the ignition switch /starter over
engaging the motor. Usually that'll do it! 7.) After I've driven the "B" a
while it starts with the first turn of the key. 8.) If it's been sitting over
an hour or two..I wait until the fuel pump has been ticking about 10 seconds,
then turn the ignition over. Starts every time (Knock on wood!)
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB, 1977 Jaguar XJ6L
Central Coast British Car Club
Port Hueneme, California (USA)