Re: Clutch or Tranny Prblms????

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch or Tranny Prblms????
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:23:16 -0600
At 06:41 PM 5/20/2002 +0100, Paul Hunt wrote:
>Wow - that is some wear, about 3/4" at the piston I would say, as opposed to
>about 1/2" of normal travel.  The only time I had the piston pop out was
>when the release bearing broke and that needed a couple of pumps of the
>clutch pedal before it did so.

Maybe it was my own stupidity during an earlier rebuild. But when I pulled
the transmission, I found that the pressure plate no longer had the metal
collar (or whatever its called) that the release bearing presses against.
Thus the release bearing was wearing against the metal ribbings at an
accelerated pace. So, yes, there was very significant metal wear (easily a
half inch or more). I didn't realize the extent until I bought a new
pressure plate.

I missed the wear when I had the engine out a few years earlier. Now I know
what to look for in the world of clutch wear.

David