Re: Stopped receiving the list!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stopped receiving the list!
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:37:09 +0930
Jerry Erbesfield wrote:

> I would bet my bippy that
> I was cut off due to "excessive returned messages".

That seems a reasonable way to keep list the list managed.  People
subscribe and then lose interest, change their address, whatever,
without unsubbing.  If you have ongoing mail problems then good
management of bandwidth would be to stop the mail until the problem is
fixed - then you re-sub.

> You know, the e-mail recipient is NOT in control of how much e-mail he/she
> receives, and most ISP's DO have a 10 meg. limit or less.

None that I know of  - actually apart from some second hand info, I
don't know of ANY providers around here with such a limit (except
freebie mail services like Hotmail because people frequently use an
address for a while and then move on - because it costs them nothing to
do so - so the provider sets an amount of space to limit their server
space costs).

My company keeps an eye on mailboxes that start growing and will drop
the owner a line to suggest they clear it out.  This is usually caused
by someone leaving their mail on the server either accidentally (forgot
to UNCHECK the box:-) or for some reason that was important to them at
the time but they just forgot to remove it later.

You should never let your mail build up to that sort of extent without
making some arrangement with the provider who may want to charge you for
the disk space used.  Imagine ten thousand users storing 10Mb or more of
mail and usually for no good reason - that is a lot of wasted disk space.

Eric