RE: clutch 65B

To: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Subject: RE: clutch 65B
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 20:37:19 -0500
At 11:46 AM 6/4/02 -0500, Chuck Renner wrote:
>.... Barney has made a good list of things to check/replace, and things
>you can add to the list if you want to get more involved.
>
>One thing he didn't mention was getting the flywheel
>resurfaced.  Definitely something you want to have done while you've got
>it off the engine.

Oh?  I suppose all the paarts vendors will flame me for this.

This may be a matter of opinion, but through all my ventures and adventures
with an MGA I have never had a flywheel resurfaced, and never had a problem
with one.  The design geometry of the pressure plate is such that the
clutch will fail to grip and begin to slip just about the time the friction
disk is work out, but before it encounters metal to metal contact.  As long
as you don't drive it for a long time with the slipping clutch condition
there should be no damage to the flywheel, and probably not to the pressure
plate either.

Mostly what screws up the pressure plate is a worn out release bearing
giving steel on steel contact at the release actuation ring.  Or in the
case of the diaphram type pressure plate on the MGB, sometimes the release
ring just falls out of the diaphram.  I have never replaced an MGA pressure
plate, but I did have an MGB pressure plate fail once in this manner.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg