Re: tubed type rearend switch from 68 to 73 , probs ?

To: "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tubed type rearend switch from 68 to 73 , probs ?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 14:25:34 +0100
> "Are you folks saying there's a width difference in the 73 as opposed to
the 68 hub to hub
> width" ?  and mini lites and tires will rub on the inside ?

Not so much year to year but between wires and Rostyles.  GTs had the
Salisbury/tube axle from inception in 1965, roadsters started changing over
after that but had all changed by July 1967.  However there is also a width
difference between Banjo and Salisbury/tube axles - about 2" from brake drum
face to brake drum face I have been told.  However this is a larger
difference than between Banjo and Salisbury which seems odd.  Rostyles on a
wire axle can rub the inside arch.  As far as Minilites go, or any
aftermarket wheel, it all depends on the offset of the wheel and the width
of wheel and tyre.

> also, 1 thing I haven't even looked at yet, are the spring perches in the
same location as
> the 68's  ?

Yes.

> Then for the front wheels all I have to change is the front hubs right?

Yes.

> Are you saying mini lites will rub there too?

As for the rear.  But there is probably less chance of rubbing in the front
than the rear as long as the rack has an equal amount of lock both sides.