Re: Diagnosis

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Barney Gaylord"
Subject: Re: Diagnosis
From: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:11:35 -0400
From: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>

> So your 1970 MGB has a 1967 vintage engine.

Yeah.  it does.  ;)

> Whos idea was it to hang the
> altermator with a short top mounting bolt without using a rear
> bracket?  Some significant risk of breaking something from the vibration
> that way.  Just a thought.

Thanks, I never even gave a thought to all the pressure that would be putting
on that front bracket.

It was an idea by a mechanic friend that was supposed to be a temporary deal
to get me home a couple years ago when the alternator died at his place.  He
had one of those one wire alternators laying around. It's one of my least
favorite features of the car because it's a one wire, thus the idiot light
doesn't even function.  :(

It's on the list to be replaced with a proper alternator eventually (read:
when funds become available).

In the meantime, would you suggest a longer bolt that would run all the way
to the rear bracket and spread the stress a bit?

> My bet is a leaky valve cover gasket caused by a
> not-so flat flange on the cover.  The fix is a cheap gasket, but it may
> take a little work to get it installed properly not to leak.  Check here
> for a way to straighten the valve cover flange.
> http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/vc101.htm

Thanks for the link Barney.

Should I use some sort of gasket glue or sealant (as well as making sure the
flange is actually flat)?

I suppose the other question is, if the current gasket isn't broken, is it
re-usable?

Chris