Re: Dry Sump

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>, MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:45:01 -0400
>    Has anyone ever played with hooking up a pump and running a > dry sump
in their A or B?  I would think the engine life would be
> increased dramatically and the cornering problem would of course
> be eliminated.

> Gregg

Okay now this is a cool subject :-)  Chuck Renner posted a good overview
link, which I will repost... http://www.howstuffworks.com/question331.htm

The one thing the article does not mention is that with a dry sump system,
as soon as the ignition is turned on your oil system is primed and
pressurized.  Since a great deal of engine wear happens over time from the
momentary lack of pressurized lubrication on start up, this is one of the
greatest benefits a dry sump lubrication system can offer you.

Dry sump systems will run you about $600-$800 for our MGs.  I believe APT
sells systems which you can adapt for use.  http://www.aptfast.com.

One alternative, which is much less costly, is an oil accumulator.  They
typically come in 1L and 3L capacities, and they are a pressurized cylinder
filled with "reserve oil" when oil pressure in your engine drops below a
given pressure the cylinder automatically discharges its reserve of oil
which makes up for the loss of pressure you would have otherwise
experienced.  They are very easy to install, since most MGBs have oil
coolers, you can plump them right into the oil cooler lines.  You're looking
at $250 or for the oil accumulator, AccuSump comes highly recommended
http://www.accusump.com/... Moroso makes a similar product.  Again, they
provide immediate pressurized oil upon start up and prevent pressure
degradation in extreme conditions such as hard corning.

Of course, for the normal road car... you can just fab a windage tray for
your oil pan and you'll eliminate the majority of oil surge during
cornering.

I've seen an AccuSump oil accumulator installed in a street TR6, very nice
installation and I don't care how silly someone may think it is... it has
the potential to greatly reduce engine wear on things like bearings and
journals.

Kai