Re: Dry Sump

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry Sump
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:12:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/02 6:46:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The one thing the article does not mention is that with a dry sump system,
> as soon as the ignition is turned on your oil system is primed and
> pressurized.  Since a great deal of engine wear happens over time from the
> momentary lack of pressurized lubrication on start up, this is one of the
> greatest benefits a dry sump lubrication system can offer you.

Kai - the article doesn't mention it because it ain't necessarily so!
Traditional dry sump systems utilize either belt or gear driven pumps that
like any other require a certain (usually quite short) time to attain full
pressure.

The only way you will get instant pressure is with an electric pressure (as
opposed to scavenge) pump, or an accumulator like the Accusump.

We can't use dry sump in vintage racing, so I content myself with an Accusump
(I am trying to figure out how to fit one in the Lamborghini - which stupidly
has a standing fit oil filter without an anti-drain back valve - without it
showing, but there are too many carbs and cams in the way).

What I'd really like to figure out is how to work a dry DRIVEWAY under a
British car, with their total loss oiling systems!

BTW - my friend's TVR race car with less neat stuff but with trailer just
sold for $26K.  Mine is still up for grabs for 19K with HRG, Webers etc., if
anyone wants a fast MG powered commuter......

Bill