Re: Dry Sump

To: gbaker@customcpu.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry Sump
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:39:01 EDT
In a message dated 13/06/02 3:15:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gbaker@customcpu.com writes:

> Bill- Have you ever fitted an Acusump in a MGA or B.  Why couldn't someone
> put a
> small electric pump into the oil cooler plumbing or the 'off-engine' oil
> filter
> plumbing to use for pre-oiling and engine.  I'm not familiar with electric
> oil
> pumps but I wouldn't think it would take much to get 30-50 lbs. of pressure
> for
> the purposes of an engine start.  I don't really whip my car around corners
> fast
> enough to worry about oil starvation but I would like to get as many miles
> out of
> a first class rebuild as possible.

I use an Accusump on the MGA.

If you are racing, you NEED one - the small tubing of the oil pressure line
will NOT show you that you may be starving the engine in corners.

If you do not compete with the car, you don't need to bother - just stay well
away from that idiotic standing fit oil filter set up and use one of the
'hanging' ones, either cartridge or spin-on - they don't drain, and you get
oil pressure up plenty quick enough without the added expense, weight, and
complication of having little electric pumps about the place.

Bill