Audio questions

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Audio questions
From: "Ryan Irwin" <ButterscotchB@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:49:38 -0500
Ok, I have a number of electrical/audio related questions:

(For reference, I have a 1972 MGB with an original BL solid state AM radio)

1) When I'm accelerating or running at higher-than-idle speeds, I get better
reception, why is this?  Could this be a current related problem that might
mean my alternator may need attention?

2) While liking the fact that nearly everything on my B seems to be very
factory-original, this whole AM radio thing is not very handy if the B will be
my primary summer vehicle.  In fact, I may have just decided to sell my Sentra
and pick up another equally crappy car for a winter vehicle when that sort of
weather starts setting in.  (Northern Indiana winters are hardly sports
car-friendly.)    Has anyone elses put a decent stereo in one of these cars?
and how hard would it be to swap back to factory original once I do it?
Currently my Sentra has a $300 Kenwood CD player that i would remove before i
sell it, and it would be really nice in the B.  But now's your chance to tell
me why not to....

3) Given the proposition layed by question #1, would this give me some real
problems with #2?

Wiring issues are really non-issues, I'm pretty good with that, having
installed 6 of these stereos into various cars, and the wiring, by all means,
can't be harder than trying to get the tail lights on my Midget to work.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan Irwin
'72 MGB
'61 Midget
'89 Sentra (unofficially for sale at $2,250)