Re: couple of parts questions

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: Re: couple of parts questions
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:15:21 +0100
<Snip>
> > While everything is apart, should I replace the pilot bushing that the
> > tranny input shaft rides in on general principle?

Assuming you're referring to the spigot bush in the centre of the crank
tail, i.e. in the middle of the flywheel, I'd replace it unless it's very
new.

There are three ways to get these bushes out...

1. Find a piece of dowel or solid metal, about 6 inches long, that is a very
close but not tight fit in the bush. Fill the bush's centre hole with grease
and then insert your solid rod and give it a substantial clout with a
hammer. The incompressible grease will 'hydraulic' the bush out.

2. If that fails, find a coarse tap of an appropriate size, cut a thread in
the bush and then attach grips to the end of the tap and lightly drive the
whole affair out with a smaller hammer. A refinement of this is to screw a
bolt in your newly-threaded bush and hit that instead.

3. If both these method fail, use a Dremel or similar to carefully take
metal out of the bush until it splits, then collapse the remains of the bush
with a pin punch or old screwdriver and drag them out - don't damage the
crank.

Have fun,

David Hill
York UK.