Doing diagnostic work with a remote starter switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Doing diagnostic work with a remote starter switch
From: "Andy Drake" <adrake@mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:08:34 +0400
Hey all -- has anyone used the hand-held switches that Moss sells to do
diagnostic work on your motor by clamping onto the starter? It's designed to
get around the chicken and egg problem of having two people to engine work, one
to crank the motor over and one to observe.

The unit I bought is little more than a heavy duty push button switch and some
aligator clips. No directions were included, so before I burn up my electrical
system trying to use the thing, just where exactly on the starter do I hook
this thing? I know there are a couple of terminals, I'm assuming one clip to
the ground and one clip goes to the solenoid terminal?? Or maybe one clip to
the battery and one clip to the solenoid terminal??

Does the key need to be in the ignition and turned "on" while you use the
switch? Seems like it would, but the whole thing seems a bit rigged up to me
anyway, so I'm just not sure. All I'm trying to do is diagnose the hard
starting of my car.

Thanks!

                             -Andy

P.S. This thing came from Harbor Freight and was $5.99 in case anyone cares.