RE: Latest antics : Head off, now what? (anyone in UK got

To: Rick Lindsay <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Subject: RE: Latest antics : Head off, now what? (anyone in UK got
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:09:11 +0100
(CC: MGs)

Sorry, seems to be some confusion. I wrote about my "tappet chest covers"
and was told by Rick that there should be O-rings to seal the bolts. He then
mentions...

>Also, the seals that go around the little valve lifter doors
>are a TERRIBLE design.

Ah. I *was* talking about the 6x3" sealed covers on the side of the engine
under the manifold which cover the cam followers and pushrods. On mini
A-series these are called "tappet chest covers". I think you may have
thought I was talking about the rocker cover. Yeh, I use T-bars on the
rocker cover with seals. No leaks from there.

>They tend to slip inward when the cover is tightened.
>My '79 leaked like a sieve after the rebuild.

I think this could be all (or some) of the problem. Any oil leaking here
will (above a certain RPM/speed) find its way onto the red-hot manifold.
This fits the symptoms (smoke after ~10 mins >50mph).

This is why I'll get new seals, and also get rid of that horrible breather
pipe cover. I understand that the crankcase needs to be vented, but the way
I see it, it is best to vent from the top of the engine rather than lower
down in order to minimize the amount of oil being dumped out with the fumes.

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com