RE: Latest antics : Head off, now what? (anyone in UK got

To: Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>,
Subject: RE: Latest antics : Head off, now what? (anyone in UK got
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:23:34 +0100
>1) You really need to do the compression test with the head on.

ahahahahah! Ofcourse I did it with the head on! wouldn't be much compression
with the head on the bench! ;-)

>Then check both before and after adding a tablespoon or so of oil to each
>cylinder. If compression goes up after the oil, the likely cause is
>rings. If it stays the same the difference in pressure is the result of
>valves.

I have done this and the pressure stayed pretty much the same. = rings ok

>2) You may think it's rings, but have you checked the clearance on the
>valve guides? This, too, can be a major source of smoke.

Head was re-con'd ~1 year ago, guides were fine and seals fitted.

>3) Whitish smoke? This is indicative of steam.

I thought that at first, but I am 99.9999% certain it is "oil on a hot
surface" kind of smoke = white    (burning = blue)

spray WD40 on a soldering iron for the same effect  ;-)

The smoke that was coming out of the exhaust was blueish, but not as blue as
normal 'oil burning' smoke. I think that there was just a lot of oil going
through the engine and the blue'ness had become white-blue.

>It's possible you have a slightly leaky head gasket

coolant was not going down, and head gasket looked fine when removed. The
head was skimmed flat before fitting too. It is a possibility, but I think
the cause is oil, not water. When the gasket went before on the old head it
was steaming like a train. This smoke is very different.

Thanks for your ideas though, as soon as I solve it I'll let you all know.

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com