Re: overdrive vs 5-speed conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overdrive vs 5-speed conversion
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:21:50 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/02 6:41:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> 2 overdrives in 40,000 miles !!!!!!!! I think that either the person who is
> rebuilding the unit does not know his job OR the O/D is being abused.

I'd have to agree. I race with OD, and as long as you lift off to allow
complete engagement, and use clean oil (and no synthetic) the units are
pretty much fool-proof, and last a long time. Sadly, most mechanics deal with
them so rarely that they really haven't got a clue how to deal with them.

I have seen units that have had the oil changed and the crud washed out of
them advertised as 'rebuilt'. That may be what you got.

Bill