Re: Blinker Problems - Need Expert Guidance

To: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blinker Problems - Need Expert Guidance
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:01:39 +0100
As the blinkers seem to be affecting the tach the problem is almost
certainly a bad connection at some common point.

The favourite is the fusebox.  The 2nd fuse (green circuit, fused ignition)
supplies all the gauges, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights etc. and
corrosion in the fusebox itself - fuse to holders and/or spades to
connectors, there are also rivetted connections on the back of the fusebox -
is quite common after 20+ years.

It is quite likely that the turn flashers will not flash when the brake
lights or reverse lights are on, but if these go very dim when you use a
turn signal then the problem will be in the fuse, or the white/brown supply
to it, possibly the ignition relay.  But if they only dim slightly (if at
all) when the turn signals are used the problem is more likely to be one of
the green connectors at the fusebox, or one of the several double bullet
connectors in the green circuit.

The thing to remember is that turn signals are very prone to any bad
connections, and even slight problems in the brown, ignition relay,
white/brown, green, hazard switch, turn switch and light unit ground
connections (obtained via the physical mountings in the case of the all rear
and chrome bumper front units, wires in the case of rubber bumper front
units) can cause them to light but not flash.  Old or incorrect bulbs can
also cause the problem, so be prepared to investigate several problems
before they work fully.

The hazard flasher is always hot as these are designed to operate at any
time, i.e. ignition on or off.  The turn signals are only designed to work
when the ignition is on and the hazards are off so will only have 12v under
these conditions.  There is no really good reason to connect a permanent 12v
to the turn flasher, and it could cause all sorts of problems if you
inadvertantly used the hazards and turn signals at the same time.  Much
better to fix the real problem.