FW: will not start

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: will not start
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:11:43 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Dodd, Kelvin
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 10:58 AM
To: 'JApple2154@aol.com'; mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: will not start

Apple:

Start with the easy stuff from the top side of the engine compartment.

1.  Check the starter solenoid relay.  It's a silver rectangular can mounted
close to the fuse box.  It will have a white/red tracer wire connected to
it.

You should have 12volts on the white/red tracer when you hit the key.  The
relay should throw and you will have 12 volts on the white/brown tracer wire
that heads down to the starter solenoid.

2.  If the above checks out (which it probably will) listen for a thunk from
the starter solenoid when you hit the key.  If you do hear the thunk, then
there is something amiss with the main starter feed.  This means you gotta
get a bit grubby.

First thing is to take off the + cable from the battery, that prevents you
from getting fried.  While you are there, clean the connection, although
that is probably not the problem.  With the battery cable disconnected, take
off the other end where it connects to the starter solenoid.  Clean this end
carefully, then reattach.  Most likely this is the problem.  Corrosion gets
into this connection and gives the symptoms you are describing.  If after
doing this, you still get the clunk but no starter, then the starter
solenoid is toast.  Either rebuild or replace the solenoid or starter.

Good luck

Kelvin.