Re: will not start

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: will not start
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
Max Heim SEZ -

> Yeah, I can't blame you there. It "should" have worked... I didn't mean to
> sound harsh, but someone else was talking about using them on their rear
> axle u-bolts, which was a real bad idea... there seemed to be a lack of
> appreciation of the concept that a high-friction fastening is not the same
> as a high-torque fastening.

Although there are Grade-8 Nyloc nuts which can provide both.
The main application for a Nyloc (or Nylon Insert Locking Nut
as it's generically known, speaking as a former employee of a
large threaded fastener company) is to mitigate against vibration.
And they should never be re-used as their binding strength is
greatly diminished during removal.  As the Hayes manual would
say, that's a false economy.  :-)  Stover nuts, on the other hand
(which are literally "stoved in" on top) can be used repeatedly
since they don't permanently deform on tightening.

FWIW

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,