Re: will not start

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: will not start
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:03:22 -0700
on 8/6/02 4:49 PM, Betti Ann & Preston Smith at prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca
wrote:

> Max -
>
> You may be right.  But when you consider that the hood support is not a
> stressed part, the nylock should do the job.

Yeah, I can't blame you there. It "should" have worked... I didn't mean to
sound harsh, but someone else was talking about using them on their rear
axle u-bolts, which was a real bad idea... there seemed to be a lack of
appreciation of the concept that a high-friction fastening is not the same
as a high-torque fastening.

> Now I have to look at any work I have done in the last few years to make
> sure I did not use nylocks in other applications - do not think I did but i
> will have to check.
>
> The point I was really making in my original message was that external and
> often unrelated forces can cause starting problems.

That's right -- point well taken. cheers!

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149