Electrical issue...damn that wire is hot; 77MGB

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical issue...damn that wire is hot; 77MGB
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
All,
Was driving the other night and noticed that the
headlights were dimmer than usual.  Pull over to the
side, flip the switch a few times, reach under the
dash to make sure the connectors are all connected
etc, and oowweeee....something is hot.  Turned
everything off.

Basically if I don't turn the headlights on,
everything seems fine.  Turn them on, and the brown
wire starts to heat up...fairly quickly.

Looked at the wiring diagram.  Brown traces back to
the starter solenoid which is supplied straight from
the positive terminal of the battery.  Also out of the
switch is a blue wire that goes to three things, the
direction indicator switch, the headlamp dip switch,
and the headlamp flasher switch.  Lastly there is a
red/green wire that goes to the rheostat for the panel
lights.

I haven't traced through the circuit yet, but I assume
I have a high resistance path somewhere, perhaps a
corroded bullet connector or a bad ground which leads
me to my question.

Looks like there is one ground in front that is ground
for lights, flashers, and other things.  WHERE IS IT?

Second question...anybody have a "been there done
that" experience that can point me in the right
direction for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Tom
77B