RE: Electrical issue...damn that wire is hot; 77MGB

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical issue...damn that wire is hot; 77MGB
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:14:10 -0500
> Second question...anybody have a "been there done
> that" experience that can point me in the right
> direction for troubleshooting.

I can tell you my bad experience with the red wire to the rheostat.  On my
'79, my choke control runs through the switch blanking plate near the
rheostat.  I needed to reinstall the choke cable, and did so.  Went for a
drive.  It was getting dark, so I turned the lights on.  No panel lights.
Hmm...must be a loose connection at the rheostat, since that's where I was
mucking about.

Pull into a parking lot, and reach up to see if I can feel anything.  Well,
the power to the rheostat must have come completely disconnected, because
reaching up in there grounded that wire.  Now, when wires in between your
legs start smoking, rational thought doesn't always happen.  The rational
think to do would have been to flip the switch off.  The panicked thing to
do is to grab onto the harness connector and attempt to unplug the light
switch from the wiring harness.  Thus, I ended up with very small, very
straight second and third degree burns on both middle fingers... :)
Interestingly, the pain must've been like the old movies where the leading
man slaps the leading lady across the cheek and tells her to 'snap out of
it', because the next thing I did was to simply turn the damn lights off...