Re: Stutter, cough, splutter

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stutter, cough, splutter
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:17:21 +0930
james wrote:

> Now just imagine what the filter on the end of the pickup inside the tank
> looks like!
>
> I have a theory for you.  If you remember my earlier description, the filter
> is not serviceable.  You may be able to pull the sender, and reach in with a
> long tool and tear the internal filter apart (it is a plastic screen like
> the universal glass filter types).  After doing this I would put a large
> filter before the pump.  This may save you from having to open the tank up
> to get at that filter.  Or you could just buy a new tank for the $180US or
> whatever going rate is now.  Lastly, a radiator shop can boil it out, but I
> don't know how well that would work, perhaps they could advise you.

Hey, I have replaced lots of other bits, I think I should think about
the tank anyway.

I was going this way last year when I got a pinhole leak in the floor of
the tank.  At the time I used some tank repair 'putty' TEMPORARILY
(famous last words) and that has held good for the past 8 months or more.

I reckon the metal in the floor of the tank is probably wafer thin if
that much rubbish is flushing through to the filters.

It probably isn't a crime to think about a new fuel tank every 34 years
or so, especially if it is showing signs of aging or disease (if it is
causing no problems then, of course, I wouldn't even think of it :-)

Oh well... that will probably be an 'over Christmas' job and in the
meantime I will flush out the float bowls and regularly look at my filters.

And for all those who suggested flushing out the tank... I will leave
that (if I attempt it) until AFTER race season or I may end up with
worse problems that I started with!

Oh yeah... took her for a short spin this morning and absolutely no
stutter, splutter - simply and obviously the problem, no solved (for the
moment).

Thanks all.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI