Thanks and another MGB engine question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks and another MGB engine question
From: "F. J. MacFarlane" <n5bgy@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:44:50 -0500
Thanks to all on the list that responded to my cry for help with the rings.
All the great advice was much appreciated.  It was as I suspected, and the
pistons are in!  The engine is 90% back together, awaiting my refurbishing
the rocker assembly...now for the question du jour...

I got solid adjuster screws when I ordered new ones.  The originals had
oiling holes to the center of the ball (as you all probably know better than
I).  The new ones have none.  I read in the Bentley manual's "Special
Tuning" section that solid adjusters can be fitted and oiling will be
adequate to the ball.  My question is, do I still have to drill out the
oiling passage on the end which serves the adjuster screw?  The only
mechanism I can come up with for adjuster ball lubrication is seepage from
the screw threads, which would require completing the passage through the
new bushings, unless splash and drip from the rocker tip lubrication hole is
enough.  The former requires I drill the passage to the screw, the latter
does not.  So, oh list of MoWoG intelligentsia, which is it?  To drill or
not to drill, that is the question.

BTW, I have R&R'ed all bushings, drilled out the tip oiling passages on all
8, and have reamed 6 of 8 rocker bushings to size.  I also polished the tips
and sides (man they look good), and removed the scoring on the adjuster nut
surfaces (gotta love those gorilla grip tighteners!).  I'm almost there!

With respect...

F. J. (Lane) MacFarlane
Houston, TX

1967 MGB, mileage unknown (the red terror, soon to be named)
1982 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 L 98 kmi (the black terror, driven by a teenager
now, heaven help the clutch!)
1985 Plymouth Voyager 2.6 L 144 kmi (the rust-coloured Energizer bunny van,
it just keeps going...)
1994 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 L 121 kmi (the family chariot terror)
unapologetic PO 1967 English Ford Anglia 123E (Alfie, RIP)