Re: Tach Problems

To: "Phillip Erikson" <perikson2@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tach Problems
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:34:03 +0100
So a wire fell out of your car while driving along?  Highly unlikely, more
likely they didn't know what they were looking at.  A 66 should have the
white wire from the ignition switch going through an inductive loop on the
back of the tach on its way to the coil.  If this wire fails the engine will
stop, so if that is the type of tach you have (i.e. it hasn't been changed
for the later voltage pulse type which *does* have a white/black to the
coil -ve) it is more likely to be loose connections in the green and/or
black 12v and ground supplies to the tach, or internal problems, or possibly
the white has fallen out of the inductive loop.