DCOE carb jetting

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DCOE carb jetting
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:20:16 -0500
Hi Gang,
   This is a question for those of you using Weber DCOE carbs
on your race cars.
   We recently became the owner of a pair of new 45DCOE
carbs to use on our BMW 1600-2 rally car.  Yes, this is overkill
on a 1.6 liter engine, whereas the 40DCOEs might be better
suited -- but the price couldn't be beat; $200, with manifolds!
The seller was <quickly> liquidating all his parts before a cross-
country move.
   The exhaust on our rally car is via a 1.5" individual-tube header
of tuned length (for 5000rpm) into a 2.5" collector then into straight
pipe back to the rear.  The exhaust is therefore 'tuned' for optimal
performance in the 4 to 5.5k rpm power band.
   The MGB engine is only marginally larger than the BMW 1.6
engine but the BMW engine uses a hemispherical combustion
chamber, cross flow head.   How would YOU jet these carbs to
optimize performance in the 4k to 5.5k rpm range on this or
your MG engine?  All advice is appreciated.

Best regards,

Rick

"There has never been a war where God was not on BOTH sides."