Re: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)

To: steve@coastaldatasystems.com, idcb@airborne.com
Subject: Re: Driving Philosophies (Long) (Was: Re: Cops vs.LBCs)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:01:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/02 9:04:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
steve@coastaldatasystems.com writes:

> No yellow light will only last one second (35 mph is approx 50' per
> second). Use a reasonable example. The ones I've seen are more like five
> seconds minimum. You would have to be more than 250' to be caught by the
> red. Of course, if you are ignoring the speed limit, things start
> getting a bit tighter.

- - - - - - - - - - -

According to the article I read, a city in Arizone was making LOADS of money
off of tickets based on a red light camera where the yellow was set at 3
seconds.  They extended the yellow to 4.7 seconds and revenues dropped so
much, they had to stop using the camera.  People simply didn't have enough
time to stop on red when the yellow was only 3 seconds.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"