Re: RHD, no thanks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RHD, no thanks
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:26:46 EDT
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> This made me remember riding one night across the countryside of
> Scotland in a Damiler Double Six sedan (Jaguar XJ).  The gentleman
> driving was really getting into the spirit of it, but every time we
> took a sharp curve and met oncoming headlights, I found myself
> grabbing for controls that weren't there.  I'm pretty sure if I
> attempted to drive in the UK, I would get in an accident in a
> situation like that.  Instinctively pull the car to the wrong side
> and WHAM.

The only time I have to really concentrate is when driving RHD in England,
especially when negotiating a roundabout! You have to be aware what you are
doing ahead of time, and can't go onto autopilot!

The other thing to watch for is passing when driving RHD in North America.
The old Jensen has no problem passing things (big block Chrysler with a
sixpack on it), but you just can't see very well. In such case having a
passenger is a great help as you can pull out a little so they can see, and
then boot it if they say it is safe.

The only problem is having a wuss as a passenger (SWMBO fits this
description), who would never tell you it is safe to pass even if they just
suspected ther MIGHT be a car coming 5 miles away. In that case, one learns
to interpret the tone of their scream. If you start to pull out and get a
wimpy sort of "Ahhhhh', you can tell it is safe. If you make a fake little
move to pull out and you elicit a much louder "NOOOOOO!!!!!", then you better
pull back in.

Heck of a way to travel, and you are counting on the passenger staying awake,
although there isn't much chance of SWMBO dozing off if the road is at all
interesting......

Bill