Re: RHD, no thanks.

To: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@monmouth.com>,
Subject: Re: RHD, no thanks.
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:24:16 +0100
Brits too.  My daughter worked and drove in America for two summers and said
that over there if any pedestrian even looked as if they might step into the
road as a driver you stopped.  In the UK if you step into the path of a
vehicle it is your fault.

Not what I taught my kids though.  When they started driving I asked what
different action they would take if confronted by a cat on the road in front
of them, or a dog, or a child.  Initially they said "exactly the same, try
and avoid it.".  The strictly correct answer is "Try and avoid the cat but
without hitting or endangering anything or anyone else.  If you fail, then
you don't have to stop or report it.  For the dog it is much the same but if
you hit it you have to stop and report it.  For the child you avoid it at
all costs, even if it means hitting someone or something else."  All
theoretical, but it did give them an insight into some of the decisions one
has to make and the responsibilities of being a car driver.