Re: TD rear freeze plug ?

To: "mga" <mga@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: TD rear freeze plug ?
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:42:10 -0500
Call me a future DPO, but I fixed my rear freeze plug leak with a bead of JB
Weld around the seam. The coolant is not under pressure, so what could go
wrong? I've got 3000 leak free miles on this fix so far. Try this at your
own risk, it might be a stupid thing to do.

"Bars Leak" would probably work (unless it is a severe leak), and would be
far more conventional.

If you really want to change the rear freeze plug, I'm afraid you'll have to
pull the engine to get access. Maybe someone knows a work-around to do it in
place.

IMHO: Non-pressurized coolant systems, like on the TD, are much less prone
to leakage. In thirty years, the rear freeze plug has been the only coolant
leak on my TD. My B has leaked from every conceivable nook and cranny in the
five years I've owned it.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470