Re: TD rear freeze plug ?

To: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: TD rear freeze plug ?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 00:15:34 -0500
Don:

It's just about impossible to replace the plug without
removing the engine.  I've read of it being done in situ,
but I wouldn't trust such a repair except in an emergency.
I think what was done in that instance was a removal of the
transmission tunnel cover.  But the angle is awkward to be
able to set the plug well.

You might be able to get a better whack at the plug by
removing the seats, tranny cover, floor boards, and the rear
mount under the tranny.  This would allow the transmission
tail to drop exposing the plug better.  Of course you would
also have to disconnect coolant hoses, and watch to make
sure nothing got damaged such as having the fan poke into
the radiator.  You might also have to loosen the front mount
and possibly raise the front of the engine slightly so it
can pivot without damaging the front rubber mount.  It would
almost amount to partially preparing the engine for removal
without actually removing the engine, bonnet, and radiator.

If the leak is quite slow, he might try a radiator sealant,
but I don't like to use the stuff for fear of pluging up the
radiator.  If the leak quits after using a radiator sealer,
I would suggest the coolant and sealer be drained out later,
and replaced.

He should also make sure it isn't the end plate seal on the
head.
--
Blake
MG TD