Re: Overdrive fluid options? Syntech? early O/D

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive fluid options? Syntech? early O/D
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:14:42 EDT
In a message dated 16/09/02 2:46:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I have heard everybody saying no synthetics in an O/D, but a friend, a
> mechanic,  put Redline in his TR4 and says its greatly improved the O/D.
> What's the story different O/D?

Yes, different series, but the reason ti still works for him is probably that
he doesn't use the car in a 'spirited' fashion. Get some torque fgoing
through that puppy and it will sooner or later start to slip and then <poof>
you've fried the friction facings.

Some guys doddle around on the street for ages with no probem in MGBs and
such, while comp[etition use will fry them in one race weekend on synthetic.

The linings in the series of OD unit used in the TR have more surface area,
but the fact that the TR produces significantly more torque (and allows OD in
2nd gear) means that they would probably be about equal in terms of life with
too slippery fluids.

Bill